Saturday, May 24, 2014

Predicting the Future

Today (Saturday 5/24) I officiated Vanina and James' wedding ceremony, at Elmer W. Oliver Nature Park, in Mansfield, Texas. Here are the remarks I shared with them, their families, and their friends:

The baseball great, Yogi Berra, is rumored to have once said, "It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future..." The thing is, when we marry, we have to try to predict the future. We have to be confident that this is the person we should spend the rest of our life with. How do we do that?

Well, obviously, there is something to be said for just generally being on the same wave length, so to speak, and putting smiles on each other's faces. As Vanina tells about the beginning of this relationship, which like many today started digitally. "We would type the exact same thing at the same time, multiple times, and he had me laughing aloud every minute."

Of course, the fact is that we won't always and regarding every issue be on the same wave length, and that is probably a good thing. So what is the next important thing? It is sharing experiences, paying attention, and learning from those experiences about ourselves, our lovers, and that other entity, our relationship. As James tells us, "Vanina and I have been through a lot together, and we have taken the time to figure out each other."

Above all, the most important thing is having and working on a true sense of love and caring despite the times, issues and circumstances, where we might differ. As James says about Vanina, "She is one of the most caring people I know. For all my faults she accepts me and cares for me."

When you have those vital components in your relationship, and you continue to cultivate them, you may not be able to predict the unknowable, but you can narrow down how you will be impacted by it. Then you can confidently say like Vanina does, "I love him to pieces. He is my love, my darling and my heart and I could not picture my life with out him."

No comments:

Post a Comment