Sunday, April 6, 2014

Just What the Doctor Ordered

Last night, Saturday 4/5, I officiated Laura and Ryan's wedding at the Biltmore in Coral Gables, Florida. Here are the personal remarks I shared with these two young physicians and their guests:

I always ask couples how they met. None of us can control how we meet our soul mates, so admittedly some couples' stories of how they met are more interesting or exciting than others. Once in a while, though, you come across a description that stops in your tracks with its beauty, and tells you a lot about the depth of love someone feels for the person that he or she plans to build a life with.

"All of a sudden there is a burst of wind and light shining down on Laura as she walks through the door. It was love at first sight. Once we started talking, we connected immediately. We had great chemistry and became great friends... I was completely infatuated with her; everyone knew this but her... Once we started dating...  it’s (was) a dream come true... She is not only my best friend but the most wonderful woman I have ever met. She will be a great mother to our children."

Dr. Chamorro, as you can clearly observe, the patient is clearly "suffering" from head over heels love for you!

Now, Laura tells us of a different encounter, that while it happened during that period that they were still friends, gave her a glimpse of a future much deeper connection:

"Before we were dating, Ryan and I were best friends; early on we figured (out) we had a very strong connection. I remember the first time I came over his house to work on our chemistry homework I noticed a large sheet of paper taped on his wall. It read 'God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage for those I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.' When I saw this my mouth dropped. This is the teaching my Mom and Dad had taught me since I was young, one which comes to mind at least once a day, and I carry this prayer around with me daily on my keychain."

Wow. I believe that this fact tells us a lot. Both Laura and Ryan grew up in families where service was important, where making a difference mattered a lot more than making a buck. That is clear. However, it is that praiseworthy approach, that can get you in trouble, if you don't have, "the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage for those I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.” Laura and Ryan are far ahead of the pack in that they keep this in mind.

It is that approach that makes them not only great at their vocations, but even better at the labor of love. That is why Ryan says, "I found my soul mate in Laura and she is the most intelligent, kind, and funny person I know and (I) can’t wait for us to grow old together." That is why Laura says, "Ryan and I already feel like family. I think now is a good time to make it official."

Now, I don't know about you, folks, but I tend to listen to a doctor's instructions, so not one more word, let's make it official!

No comments:

Post a Comment