Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Luckiest

This last Saturday I officiated my 100th wedding, right herein Frisco, Texas, at the fabulous Fairy Tale Manor.Here are the personal remarks I shared with Betsy and Billy and their guests:

Betsy and Billy have made quite an impression on me. You see thesefolks are not really big talkers; they are more quiet by nature. However, ifyou listen carefully, you can pick up on two fascinating interconnected factsabout them and their relationship.

First, you get a sense that they are extremely content together, whichI believe is a step beyond just being happy. Second, they share a profoundmutual sense of good fortune in having found each other. Betsy and Billy willtell you that they were not “looking” when they met each other. Itwas really a grand stroke of good luck. Now, some may denigrate luck, but Ihappen to be fascinated by it. After all, scientists tell us that we are allhere because of one cosmic and biological lucky break after another.

These two aspects of their relationship, a content feeling and afeeling of profound fortune, got me thinking about a quiet hauntingly beautifulsong by Ben Folds, called “The Luckiest”. Let me read you just afew words:

I don't get many things right the first time
In fact, I am told that a lot
Now I know all the wrong turns, the stumbles and falls
Brought me here

And where was I before the day
That I first saw your lovely face?
Now I see it everyday
And I know

That I am
I am
I am
The luckiest

These few words are very deep and multi-layered. Folds’ charactertalks about stumbles along the way, but there is not a shade of bitterness. Heis very content, and feels tremendously lucky to have his lover by his side. Iam not surprised this reminded me of Betsy and Billy’s love story.

Betsy and Billy, our wish to you is that you continue to enjoy a senseof good fortune from having found each other as life partners. Our hope is thatyou continue to exhibit for others what a true life of content, born from therecognition of that good fortune and from ongoing deep love, really and trulylooks like.

No comments:

Post a Comment